Overview of CAIRS Rates and Policies
Assignments and Minimum Costs
The minimum charge for a CAIRS interpreter is $110.00 per assignment. If an assignment exceeds two hours in length, the standard rate charge is $55.00 per hour. However, single-interpreter assignments that extend past two hours in length, will be charged at one and half times the standard hourly rate. In general, assignments in excess of two hours are billed in half hour increments.
Moreover, since 2008, CAIRS has offered reduced pricing for academic and educational institutions in order to support Deaf individuals who pursue post secondary education. CAIRS is proud of our role in promoting education for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community in this manner. CAIRS reduced pricing for academic and educational clients is available in both Illinois and Indiana.
Interpreters and Assignments by Time Duration/Type
All requested assignments that exceed two hours in length may require two interpreters assigned for large group events, conferences, meetings, etc. and events convened for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community, CAIRS reserves the right to assign more than one interpreter to ensure that the number of interpreters assigned is sufficient to provide a high quality service.
Assignments and Time-Defined Categories
CAIRS encourages clients to request interpreter assignments with as much advanced notice as possible to ensure that the appropriately-skilled interpreter(s) can be provided. At CAIRS, all assignments and pricing categories are classifiable according to the amount of advanced notice a CAIRS coordinator receives from a client, as follows:
- Regular Notice Request = Requests received with more than two full business days notice. No additional charges.
- Short Notice Request = Requests received with less than two full business days notice – an additional charge will be applied.
- Emergency Notice Request = Requests received same day of assignment or with only one full business day notice, as well as requests for weekend assignments received on Thursday – an additional charges and interpreter travel time will be applied.
- After-Hours Notice Request = Requests received outside of CAIRS regular Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM business hours – additional charges and interpreter travel time will be applied.
Assignments and Cancellation Policies
Since CAIRS understands that sometimes requested assignments must be rescheduled, our coordinators will attempt as much as possible to adjust to client needs. However, once CAIRS formally contracts with an interpreter, a set of legal obligations and expectations has been created among the client, CAIRS and the interpreter. Therefore, please note the following policies on assignment cancellations:
- When a client notifies CAIRS of a cancellation prior to an interpreter being assigned or, two business days prior to the assignment date – there is no charge to the client.
- When a client request goes unfilled or an interpreter does not show up – the client is never charged.
- When a client notifies CAIRS of a cancellation after an interpreter is assigned less than two business days prior – the client will be charged.
- When the CAIRS interpreter shows up and the Deaf and Hard of Hearing client does not – the client will be charged.